Information for Computer Science Mentors
NMHack2020 is a virtual event for teams of NM high school students who will be matched with university mentors. These teams will LEARN great tech skills together as they tackle interesting projects. Simultaneously, they will be part of a local NMHack2020 event that is part of a larger, global hackathon hosted by Major League Hacking (www.mlh.io).
NMHack is For
- Teams from NM high schools that don’t have any experience in hackathons and are pretty new to coding and computer science. Curiosity, creativity and persistence are the only pre-reqs.
- University mentors that have some coding experience and are willing to work with high school students to help inspire them and build their confidence.
- Schools in targeted are areas of NM that would like to introduce their students to the power of computer science through an intense and fun event.
We would like to have 2 college student mentors on each of our 15 Hacking Teams
Each Team Will
- Have two college mentors — one each from UNM ABQ and Northern New Mexico College.
- Have 7 Northern New Mexico high school students.
- Each Team will have one Media mentor from TrueKids1.
- Total # of participants in our NMHACK 2020 Teams = 150!
What is Needed
- A diverse team that can have fun while learning and collaborates on open-ended, creative projects. Co-ed groups are encouraged!
- Access to a computer and good internet (ideally teammates can be nearby but socially distanced, like in shouting distance to share the fun and excitement). Lots of libraries, government buildings and schools have opened their internet access. Be creative in how you’ll get connected. Or come to UNM’s campus and we’ll get you connected!
- Apply to participate at nmhack.unm.edu.
Requirements for Computer Science Mentors
- Mentor participates in 3 one hour Zoom planning sessions with Paige Prescott of Computer Science Alliance.
- Mentor has some coding experience and lot of good energy to organize the Team and inspire computer science!
- Mentor leads a one hour prep session with her/his Team.
- Mentor participates in 1 one hour wrap and next step session after the Local Hack Day.
- Mentor participates virtually in the Local Hack Day with their Team of 7 high school students on 18 October 2020.
NMHack2020 is an event that is being organized by a group of organizations who are committed to expanding access to computer science and building the tech economy of tomorrow.
For questions, please email email@example.com.